The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Internet Speed Test

TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Internet Speed Test

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 pm

There are several sites on the internet where you can test your internet speed. For years, I've used speedtest.net, but I'm changing. Go to the Google search page and just type speed test. Click run speed test and Google will test it. I especially like the report info. I am writing this on a cruise ship, so mine says "very slow" most of the time.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: Internet Speed Test

Postby TomTom » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Interesting find. I am currently downloading 3 large files, but decided to try it anyway -- and yea, I know that ain't a good idea. :lol:
I am also running behind multiple layers of security, including a VPN, all of which certainly diminish the theoretical speed that I "COULD" achieve, IF I opened her up!

Anyway, under these less-than-ideal conditions, my download speed was pegged at .12Mbps, and the test crashed during the upload test. I will try again at a better time, but for now, my 2 favorites speed test sites are Fast.com and Speedtest.net. YMMV!

Update on 1/30, under slightly better conditions:
8.27 Mbps download
0.84 Mbps upload
Latency: 197 ms
"Your Internet connection should be able to handle streaming an HD video. If multiple devices are streaming video at the same time, you may run into some slowdowns."
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Computer Tips and Tweaks”