The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Amazon Echo or Google Home?

TomTom
Site Admin

Amazon Echo or Google Home?

Postby TomTom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Which smart speaker should you buy? Amazon Echo or Google Home?

With all the new smart speaker tech, you may be wondering which one to buy. This ZDNet article has a good and simple comparison. Which one do they recommend? Read it to find out, then post your comments and arguments here. I don't have one, or any plans to get one anytime soon, but know which one I would get.

PS: Amazon even has 2 models, the original Echo, and the newer Dot. The article only uses the Echo in comparing to the Google Home, but the Dot is similar, as both are based on the Amazon Alexa technology. To read more about each, check out these links:
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Re: Amazon Echo or Google Home?

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Two entirely different systems. Amazon wants to sell you stuff. Google wants to find out everything about you to sell advertising. I wounder how long it will be until there is an open source system?
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: Amazon Echo or Google Home?

Postby TomTom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 pm

The hardware would be incredibly easy to duplicate, but the real power (and danger... LOL) in both of these devices is in the cloud, and that part would probably require a pretty hefty computer system to even be able to run locally, assuming someone could and would create an AI system with similar capabilities. Maybe an AI department at a university could create something similar as a proof-of-concept, but I doubt that home computers would be capable of implementing it.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Accessories & Other Stuff”