The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Darn! Once Again I'm Not the Best

TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Darn! Once Again I'm Not the Best

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:26 am

Techradar's best of list. I have two of the programs installed on all my machines. Only one of the two is the default on them.

The best free software for your new PC or laptop
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: Darn! Once Again I'm Not the Best

Postby TomTom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:32 pm

I have used Avast on all my computers for several years, but have considered BitDefender. If I ever feel the need to switch, that is at the top of my very short list.

I have tried EaseUS ToDo Backup Free, and agree that it is one of the better "FREE" options, but there was something I didn't like and ultimately went with other choices, most of which were NOT free.

Firefox, or the Mozilla derivative Pale Moon, have been my preferred browsers for years, but I do often also use Google Chrome, or the open-source Chromium on which Chrome is based.

I have used LibreOffice, or prior to that, OpenOffice for years and have no compelling reason to switch. I have tested WPS Office Free for Android and liked it, but had no need for a full office suite there, and uninstalled it to free up some room.

Photo Pos Pro: Finally, a recommendation for something that I have NOT tried! I may need to try this one. I doubt that it will replace my two stalwarts: IrfanView and Paint.NET.

Piriform Recuva is a good program which is usually my first choice when trying to retrieve files. There are times, however, when it will not do the job and I resort to some others.

VLC is on all my computers and is a great program, but my preferred video player is MPC-BE, and my preferred audio player is usually XMplay, but I also like AIMP.

Shotcut is another recommendation that I have NOT tried, although I seldom need a video editor.

Overall, not a bad list of recommendations, even though it is not MY list! :lol:

PS: If anyone would like more information on any of the programs I mentioned, I would be happy to post links or a short description.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Software”