The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Thinking of Getting a VPN?

Anti-virus, Anti-malware, Firewalls, etc.
TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Thinking of Getting a VPN?

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:32 am

With the recent changes in ISP rules and the unending (mostly click bait) reporting an almost all major news sites, many people will be getting a VPN. Before you do, I suggest reading this article by Brian Krebs.

Post-FCC Privacy Rules, Should You VPN?

There are also some interesting comments.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of Getting a VPN?

Postby TomTom » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Interesting article, but it does not even begin to scratch the surface of the subject. As stated, many factors should be considered before adopting a VPN, and what is best for one person may not be for another, so do your research, based on REPUTABLE sites, or trusted advisers -- like our vice-prez. LOL

I went through several free VPNs and two paid before settling on one that I like, but YMMV.

Testing your VPN

How do you know if your VPN is actually doing what it is supposed to?

There are several resources available, and I will list a few below.

Is My VPN Working is an excellent starting point. The article lists some of the factors to consider and more importantly, some of the resources that you can use to verify your VPN's performance.

How to Check if your VPN Connection is Secure is another good reference site.

Check My Torrent IP - Proxy & VPN Verification from TorGuard is a good site to verify your IP address, It should be different than it was before starting your VPN. Read the first two articles if you need an explanation of what you should be looking for.

And last, but certainly not least, our old pal Steve Gibson has several tools and articles to help:
So what do I and other club officers use? Come to our meetings and find out. We have had many discussions on this topic and would be happy to resurect it again. :lol:
I know that there are at least 3 different VPNs being used - plus I occasionally also use Tor Browser, a free, portable and secure browser based on Firefox.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Security and Safety”