The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Rotating Video Clips

TomTom
Site Admin

Rotating Video Clips

Postby TomTom » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:12 pm

During my recent project (see here), I realized that the silly cameraman (who shall remain un-named) had rotated the camera during the filming of several videos... not the entire video, but only portions of it. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now what?

It turns out that rotating videos, especially only "portions" of a video, is not as simple as rotating images. Most free video editors either don't rotate at all, or only rotate the entire video rather than just selected frames, and/or rotate only in fixed 90 degree angles rather than free angles of rotation such as 35 degrees. I was finally able to figure it out using only free programs (as always). Here are some notes on what I found, including what I ultimately used.

My search yielded a few results.

Free Video Flip and Rotate was one of the first finds. This freeware can flip and/or rotate entire videos by 90 degree increments with one mouse click. I am keeping this for reference, but it is not what I am looking for, as it cannot rotate only sections of the video.

The "How To Rotate Mis-oriented Videos Using Windows Movie Maker" article seems closer, but did not seem to work with my older pre-"Live" version of Windows Movie Maker (WMM), and again, described rotation by only 90 degree increments. See the update below, however.

OpenShot is a free, simple-to-use, feature-rich video editor for Linux, but on the downloads page, you can choose to try OpenShot on any computer (without installing anything), by downloading the "AV Linux Live DVD". Burn the ISO image to a DVD, and boot your computer with the DVD drive. OpenShot is installed by default, and you can safely evaluate it. AV Linux is a Debian-based multi-media focused Linux distribution. See Rotate Any Clip in 1 Stepfor asn explanation. This may be exactly what I need, and I will definitely be giving this a try, although I would still like to find a Windows program.

FileLab Video Editor is a free and easy tool to edit your videos online. Edit, enrich, personalize and share your movies! It reportedly allows rotation, but the online app didn't work during the only time that I tried to test it. I am keeping this also for reference, but it may not be what I am looking for, especially if I cannot get it to work at all!

"How to rotate and save a video using VLC media player" details how you can rotate and then export videos with the freeware VLC. VLC apparently only rotates entire videos, but does support any degree of rotation. If I cannot find a single tool to do what I want, I could split a video with WMM, then rotate the individual sections with VLC, and recombine with WMM. I am keeping this for reference also, but again, it is not exactly what I am looking for.

Movavi Video Editor is a video editor that allows you to rotate the entire movie, or just the part that needs correction! This sounds like what I want, but it is $39.95. If I cannot find a better answer, I may try it to see how well it works before parting with any money.

Freemake Video Converter allows you to pick a file, choose the rotation direction and then the new file format (or same as original, if you like). Then press the 'Convert' button. Cut unwanted video parts from your file. Rotate any video 90 and 180 degrees. Join several clips into one file, add transitions between parts. Fit the output file size to any limit (e.g. 700 Mb, 1.4 Gb, 4.7 Gb). Auto-delete black bars from your video. I haven't tried this yet, but have used Freemake Video Downloader from the same company, and it is a good product, so this is probably worth keeping in this list.

UPDATE: I finally got wanted by first installing WMM Effects And Transitions for Windows Movie Maker 6.x. To use, drag your clip to the timeline, optionally split it where it transitions (rotates), then right-click the segment(s) that need rotation and select Effects. Choose rotate 270, etc. Then add a suitable transition such as "Dissolve" in between the video segments. More options that I used and recommend include to fade in from black on the first segment, to fade out to black on the last segment, and to fade out the audio track. When you are satisfied with the result, "Publish" your movie (WMM speak for export) and when that step has finished, close WMM and convert the .wmv file to something more compatible (and smaller), such as .mp4. I tried 2 freeware conversion programs: FormatFactory and WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe. Actually, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe was only free during a giveaway, but the company has giveaways quite often. Both programs worked fine, and I noticed no differences in playback, but WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe produced a much smaller file size, so it gets my recommendation.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Photo and Video Editing”