The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Rotating Images

TomTom
Site Admin

Rotating Images

Postby TomTom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Most graphics editors have tools to rotate images. Some may only offer fixed rotation angles such as 90 degrees, but most, like my favorites, IrfanView or Paint.NET, will allow you to enter in an exact rotation +/-, such as 352.13 or -13.75. You can even do it in LibreOffice or OpenOffice Draw, if you don't already have an image editor. Note: in Paint.NET, the "Image" menu only offers 90 degree rotations, so it would be easy to overlook the fine control of rotation, which is actually in the "Layers" menu.

Usually that manual rotation is good enough, but there may be times when you want to quickly and easily rotate an image to align some arbitrary line in the image with an exact and true horizontal or vertical orientation. This is often the case when scanned images were not exactly aligned in the scanner, or a camera may not have been held exactly level when snapping the photo.

I know that there are various stand-alone tools or plugins for PhotoShop and other image editors that allow you to draw a line with your mouse, click a button, and have the image rotated automatically to align that drawn line to the nearest vertical or horizontal orientation. PhotoShop may even have this built-in, but who can afford PhotoShop? One great, easy to use and FREE tool that I found to do exactly that is Rotation Pilot. The download is a standard installer, but it runs fine if simply extracted. It has a few other features as well, including auto-crop after rotation, and image resizing.

Try it, and remember where you read about it.

PS: Image "rotation" is usually not considered the same as "deskewing" or "warping", especially as related to images. Note that some people treat deskewing as the same as rotation, especially in the context of straightening scanned text prior to OCR. You may have seen references to deskewing PDF files, but to my definition, that is rotating. Picky-picky! :lol:

Anyway, I may address deskewing and warping in a future post, if anyone is interested, or I get sufficiently motivated.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Photo and Video Editing”