The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Online Library Materials

A place to discuss books, eBooks, audio books, book reading electronics and any other reading things.
TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Online Library Materials

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:33 pm

The Calcasieu Parish Library currently has six services that you can use to download ebooks, music, movies, etc, to your electronic devices. To utilize, you must set up a separate account with the hosting service. Most electronic checkouts are for two weeks. Material can usually be renewed at least once.

Overdrive has both audio and electronic books. This is the first service I remember the library using. I've read and listened to a lot of free books.

Freegal Music lets you download individual songs and music videos. I haven't used this.

Hoopla Digital has audio books, movies and television shows. (This app is what caused this post. A recent update adds chrome casting. I will probably be buying a chromecast.)

Freading is the newest service. I haven't used it yet, but it looks interesting.

The Louisiana Library Connection are a collection of online subscription databases that are provided to the people of Louisiana by the State Library.

Zinio has many magazines available for download. I've had a Zinio account for years that I used to purchase many electronic magazine subscriptions. Now, I get all but two of them through the library website. Saved me a bunch of money.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

Return to “All Things Reading”