The February meeting has been rescheduled to February 26. Woody's SIG meeting for February has been cancelled.

Icecream Ebook Reader

A place to discuss books, eBooks, audio books, book reading electronics and any other reading things.
TomTom
Site Admin

Icecream Ebook Reader

Postby TomTom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Icecream Ebook Reader
Download at FileHippo

Icecream Ebook Reader allows users to add multiple books to the application (up to 10 in the free edition) to create a personalized library. Users can mark books as Favourites and remove books from the library. Each book has a reading progress percentage along with the data when it was added.

KEY FEATURES INCLUDE:
  • Users can search for book titles and authors in the library and search for certain text and numbers of pages in each book.
  • You can add personal bookmarks to a book and you can access each book's content too.
  • There are 3 reading modes for various lighting: day, night and sepia.
  • Fullscreen mode makes reading more comfortable so you can sit back, relax and enjoy your book.
  • Users can turn pages, add notes, and translate text.
  • Users can track reading progress and much more.

The application supports EPUB, MOBI, FB2, PDF, CBZ and CBR formats.

Note: This is NOT a portable app!
Although you can probably copy the folder and run it elsewhere without installation, it creates Registry entries ('HKCU\Software\QtProject') and various files, especially in your user folders ('icecreamapps.ini' in '\<current user>\.ebookreader', 'ebooklib.sqlite3' in '\<current user>\.ebookreader\data', and 'log_20xx_xx_xx.txt' in '\<current user>\.ebookreader\log'), plus entries in '\<current user>\.ebookreader\books' for each book in the library). I have seen some so-called portable app versions, which probably run the program, then delete the Registry and file entries when you exit the program, but don't see the need to do all that at this time.

Ebook Reader PRO is a one-time fee of $19 95, and includes a lifetime license for 2 computers.

I have read several reviews praising Icecream Ebook Reader, both as an ebook reader, and as a pdf reader. I currently use Sumatra PDF as my default (but not my only) pdf reader on my desktop computer, as it is tiny, fast, free and portable, plus as a bonus, it reads ePub, Mobi, XPS, DjVu, CHM, and Comic Book (CBZ and CBR) files. I wanted to try Icecream Ebook Reader to compare it to Sumatra.

My Testing Experience:

I opened the downloaded pdf Icecream Ebook Reader manual, and noticed a few things I didn't care for. The starting window size was way too small, although you can change it, and the next time you run the program, it seems to remember the last size used. If you maximize the program, the top and bottom borders are way too wide, both wasting the available space in between, and almost appearing to be geared to an elementary school-aged user. Only after you open a book can you switch to "Full-screen" mode (F11). After doing that, the screen was better. Searching worked well, but did not highlight the search term on the resulting page(s), although the terms are bolded in the initial search results screen. Once a book was open, there is no control to close it, but clicking the "Library" button in the top bar closes the book, remembering where you left off for next time. Of course, you can't even do that, if you are still in full-screen mode, nor can you use the search function from full-screen mode. Next I opened and tested a few pages in an ePub ebook, and the same annoyances already noted were still there. There is no uninstall entry created in the Start Menu, but there was the usual entry in Control Panel > Programs and Features, which did NOT remove the entries in '\<current user>\.ebookreader', nor even offer that as an option. Likewise, the Registry entries remained. Overall, I was mildly satisfied with the experience, but see no compelling reason to recommend this over Sumatra, which performs the same basic functions, except for the library management and note-taking. Sumatra opens the same file formats, and is smaller, portable and free. In addition, Sumatra allows printing, which seems to be unavailable in Icecream Ebook Reader.

Conclusion:

Download Sumatra PDF in either the portable or the setup versions, and you won't regret it. If you do download and install Icecream Ebook Reader and later decide to uninstall it, be sure to delete the Registry and User folder entries which remain. Revo Uninstaller would probably remove those, but I manually did so myself.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “All Things Reading”